Thursday, June 23, 2011

Provoking Thoughts

Normally I do not discuss religion, as it is a very hot topic for a lot of people. However, I came across a very thought-provoking article on ReligiousTolerance.org this morning and wanted to share it. There is one sentence that truly sums up “true” religion: Unless God were to take the initiative, it appears that there is no way for humans to determine which religion is "true."
The article can be found here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/reltrue.htm
I happen to agree with that sentence whole-heartedly. The “true” religion to me may not necessarily be the “true” religion of the Hindu next door. I understand that and respect it. It bothers me that there is still so much intolerance towards religion in my country, which is guaranteed by the US Constitution. Freedom of Religion means ANY religion.
Being Wiccan myself, I know there are people who would judge me as a “heathen” or “devil-worshipper” (of which I am neither). Nevertheless, I also know that there are just as many non-judgmental people. They may not agree with my religious choice, but they respect the fact that it is my choice and don’t preach that I am wrong simply because I believe different.
I truly believe that there should be more open-mindedness then there is in my country. This goes far beyond religion. In my opinion, everyone should be allowed to be happy regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual affiliation. It should not be up to me or anyone else to dictate what is “right” when it comes to other people’s happiness.
Hopefully, for those that read the above article, it will give you a lot to think about. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, so please feel free to leave a comment.

No comments: