Friday, June 3, 2011

No Power Last Night = Glimpse inside my head

Good morning (or afternoon/evening depending on which part of the world you’re in). We finally have power back this morning. We had no power most of the day yesterday and the same transformer blew a second time about an hour after I got home from work. Since I had nothing better to do last night, I sat at the dining room table and wrote by candlelight. So for your entertainment, I decided to use today’s post for last night’s musings. Enjoy!

2 June 2011 – Starting around 7:30pm EST

There’s not much else to do tonight as we don’t have power right now. Rick (my fiancé) told me the building had been without power most of the day; it came back on about 10 minutes before I got home. About an hour later, the same transformer blew out again.

We’ve been without power since then. It doesn’t appear that it will be fixed tonight. Right now I’ve got candles going so I have light to write by. Rick’s already gone to bed. Interestingly enough, we have power in the bedroom; only in the bedroom.

I was on the computer playing The Sims 3 until Rick wanted to go to bed. Now I’m writing. It’s been so long since I’ve written by hand (instead of typing), my hand is already starting to cramp. That’s pretty sad, I think.

It is going to be a very long and boring evening. Usually on Thursday nights, I watch Police Women of Broward County. Yes, I have no life because I stoop to watching reality TV. What can you do on a work night when you’re not really a partier though?

Writing Prompt:

“You know, on some days it’s like I can see the whole ‘divine plan’ behind the universe. On others, I think the world was thrown together from whatever bits of trash the universe could spare.”

“Well aren’t you just a ray of sunshine today?”

“I’m serious Kaylee. Did you hear about that 16-year-old kid that murdered his parents? You can’t seriously think God had a plan for him.”

“Actually, I do. There is always something good that comes out of anything bad. Maybe one of that kids family members made a commitment to get off drugs before they’re murdered by a drug dealer or something.”

I just took a glance outside and it looks like we may be in for another storm at some point (just an FYI…we did not get any storms last night). It’s gotten cloudy and it’s been windy most of the day. If we do get more thunderstorms, I hope it doesn’t spawn any tornadoes like those in Western MA (this happened on Wednesday).

Four people were killed by those. It’s really rare for us to get tornadoes this far north. Although, this is, I believe, the 3rd time that I can remember.

The first tornado in MA, that I can remember, was in Great Barrington, MA back in 1995 (I was only 11 at the time). That was 16 years ago. I think it stuck in my memory because I was a kid and up until that point, I’d never heard of such a thing.

Alright, it’s about 9pm now and honestly, the candlelight is making me drowsy. I’m off to bed now and pray to the gods we have power back tomorrow morning. I’ll be pissed if I have to throw out all the meat in our fridge and freezer.

I hope you enjoyed the glimpse into my mind. And yes, we did have power back when I woke up this morning (around 5am). Nothing in the fridge spoiled (at least not the stuff I’ve checked so far). I might cook the chicken tonight if I’m feeling better.

Hope you’re all having a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Rick said...

It is always nice to get a glimpse into your mind love.
;)