Monday, June 13, 2011

A New Beginning

I started a new story yesterday morning, below is an excerpt of what I have so far (please remember this is only a first draft). This brought up 2 questions for me that I had to look up. Since I'm not all that familiar with British history of the Stonehenge area, I'm not entirely positive my deduction for question #2 is correct.

1. What towns are near Stonehenge? I found that Amesbury was the closest at only 2 miles away. I credit the Visit Wiltshire website with this answer.

2. Would there have been any paved roads? Given the era (and the fact that there were no cars in the 1870's) I figured that cobblestone streets would not have been laid outside of the small towns (if they even had cobblestone roads in the town).

Feel free to comment and let me know what you think so far! I would also greatly appreciate any websites/books that have information on Victorian-era Wiltshire County.


I closed my eyes and felt the power of the earth and stones. We had finally scrounged and saved enough over the last year to make this trip. Now we stood at Stonehenge and I could sense the depth of thousands of generations in the soil under my feet. Sean took my hand and brought it to his lips. I smiled, but didn’t drop my focus on the vibrations of nature.

After several minutes more, I did open my eyes again, only to witness the glorious sunset. The red and pink sky was absolutely stunning. I understand why the ancients worshipped the sun as a god. It was their lifeblood. Sean let my hand drop and I walked closer to the stones.

The energy rolling off them was incredible. It made me wonder just how many people feel nothing. To most people, they probably just see stones and want to know how they got there without modern machinery.

Sean did not follow me toward the stones. He knew well enough that my complete focus was on the stone circle in front of me. I strolled slowly into the circle of stones and brushed my hand gently on one of the still-standing center stones. I walked slowly around the circle three times.

I felt the energy of the earth shift. Something wasn’t right; I started to back out of the stone circle. Suddenly, I was hit by a wave of energy so powerful; it brought me to my knees. I waited for the reeling sensation to stop before I stood.

“Sean?” There was no response. I charged out of the stones to where he had been standing. He wasn’t there. I looked toward the parking lot, but there were no cars. There was no paved road in front of me either.

With the sun setting, I started to panic. It would be twilight in a matter of minutes. Until I could figure out what the hell had happened, I needed to find someplace relatively safe. I knew Amesbury was only about a 2 mile walk, so I started hiking in that direction.

No comments: