Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Semi-pain free

I went to the neurologist this morning for a pain med injection in my back, and while it hasn't fully kicked in yet, the pain is less than it was. I've been having pain issues since the first time I got a blood clot in my left leg 6 years ago (when I was 20). Thanks to getting pneumonia in July last year, I developed a 2nd clot in the same leg. Most days I just tolerate the pain and get through it, but since the 2nd clot my pain level increased.

Because I have now had 2 clots, I am on blood thinners indefinitely. I was also diagnosed with Factor V Leiden (genetic increased risk of clots) when I developed the first clot. In some ways it is good that I found out at such a young age, but it does have its downfalls (like all the constant pain). It just goes to show that no matter how young or old you are, unexpected (and sometimes deadly) things can happen. It's a constant reminder not to take anything for granted.

For the most part, I still live my day-to-day life without incident. I do notice that I always seem to be cold now though, and of course there is always the fear of accidentally cutting myself (which is easy to do when your a klutz like me). I'll be right back to work tomorrow and probably packing more for the big move in 3 weeks. I'm hoping that the pain meds will last until after the move (otherwise it'll be harsh). As for right now, I am going to curl up under a blanket and write in my notebook.

No comments: