Thursday, March 11, 2010

Family Thoughts

I've been thinking a lot about family this past week. My cousin just recently lost his fiancée (unexpectedly). It just kind of hits home, because no one can ever know when their time will come. It's sad to see so many people taking everything in life for granted. This country is so fast-paced nowadays; no one stops to enjoy what that have until its gone.

It's the same in fiction, your characters never know what will come next for them until their future is already at their feet. I love when my characters voices flow out of me onto the page. It kind of shocks me that I have some characters I know better then my own family.

As for real life, I have made a vow that I will no longer take for granted those that I care about. When I went to my cousin's fiancée's funeral, that was the first time I have seen him in I don't know how many years. That is going to change. Growing up, he was the big brother to me and my sister (and they loved tormenting me before we hit our teen years). I would love to remake that bond between the 3 of us.

So today, I will leave off with a quote: "A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart."

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh I couldn't agree more. I blogged about this same situation! I sometimes wish you would spend more time with me and my boys. I feel like you have more important things in your life, that you can't even call sometimes. Maybe we could make a special Saturday/Sunday every month that is Auntie time?!?!?!?!