Friday, March 5, 2010

A little taste of my somewhat crazy mind

Today's post is just a section of the story I've been working on this week. All comments/feedback is welcome, as I like to know what others think so I can improve about my writing skills. Enjoy!

*****

"I will be a phoenix; coming from the ashes of your destruction. When you next see my face, it will spell your doom. May the goddess Kalona protect others from your greedy hands." King Okren motioned for them to light the wood piled around my feet. The foolish bastard believed me to be nothing more then a stupid woman who knew too much. If only he knew the truth. Fire could not harm me, it only added to my power.

I closed my eyes and began to quietly chant the spell to protect myself from the flames. The ropes binding my hands fell to the ground as they burned. My eyes flared with my anger as I opened them. I heard the gasps as I showed my now freed hands. My voice rose as I spoke the words that would transport me home. I could just imagine the screaming panic that would ensue from my disappearance.

The familiarity of my bedchamber comforted me greatly. Only my maid, Lucy would know what my display of magic and anger would have cost my body. Anger had never suited me and I always felt drained after my fury melted away. I thanked the gods that mother had taught me as much as she could, but was also grateful that she had also made sure I could control it no matter how strong my emotions became. I pulled my handmade quilt around my shoulders as I fell to the bed in exhaustion. I woke some time later when Lucy shook me.

"Miss Elizabeth?"

"What is it Lucy?" I asked groggily.

"Cormack says that there is a mob coming. We need to get you out of here."

"Oh, bloody hell. No doubt they're out to claim whatever bounty King Okren has placed on my head."

"What did you do now?"

"I escaped from being burnt at the stake, that's what."

"Miss Elizabeth, what would your brother say if he knew?"

"The king would never have dared if Edward wasn't far away in another country. He knows my brother is a powerful mage who would have sought revenge."

"Then we must get you out of here. Cormack will find your brother and tell him what has happened. Come Miss; grab your riding boots and warm clothing. We've no time to waste."

I knew she was right, but I was so comfortable. I groaned as I moved to stand. I walked wearily to my wardrobe and pulled out my warmest dress and petticoats. With Lucy's help, I was able to quickly change and get my riding boots on.

*****

If you like it, let me know and I'll post more when I have a chance on Sunday. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I likey! Mom says she thinks you spend to much time playing video games!!!!